Blogging 101



I'm not sure if I'm qualified to write this post seeing as I've only been blogging for two days, but I will do my best!  I have been working on customizing my blog, which is quite a challenge when you have no idea what you're doing...  But there are a ton of great tutorials about customizing your blog, so I thought I would highlight the ones I have used so far in hopes of helping someone else!



1)  Header:  The first thing I created was my header.  Unfortunately, I did not use a tutorial for this one... I just used trial and error!  I built my header in PowerPoint... ohmyword... I should have listened to you all long ago about switching to PowerPoint!  I have been making my files for years using Word and have now officially discovered that PowerPoint is soooo much easier!  {more on that later}  Next, I did a screen capture and pasted my image into Paint (on a PC, you can click "prnt scrn" on your keyboard for a quick screen capture).  Then, I cropped my image, saved it as a jpeg, and uploaded it to this site.  I had to experiment with a few different sizes, but eventually, it looked the way I was hoping for!



2) Signature: I followed the same steps as above for creating and saving my image.  Next, I used {this} tutorial from Kevin and Amanda {great site if you haven't seen it!} to add my signature to each blog post (once it has been added, you don't have to do it again!)




3) Threaded Comments:  The next thing I worked on was making sure I had threaded comments.  Threaded comments are where you can reply directly to someone's comment (see above).  In other words, instead of having your response appear at the very bottom of everyone's comments, it goes right below the comment you're responding to.  Apparently, this is a feature that you used to have to add through html, but now Blogger has added it as a feature {as long as you turn on the right settings}.  {Here} is the tutorial I used to make sure I had all of the correct settings on!

Soooo while we're are talking about comments, let me just take a moment to say that captcha's are NOT my friend!  In case you don't know, a captcha the little box of random letters and numbers that you have to retype to prove that you are not a computer.  {Oh, I'm sorry... they are not words and letters, they are a random mishmush of symbols THAT I CANNOT READ!}   Am I the only one who who leans in incredibly close to my computer in order to decipher the mishmush... only to get the not-so-friendly message about typing the wrong thing?!  Ok, I'll stop ranting.  Anyways, I turned the captcha feature off on my blog, but now I've noticed that many of you have it turned on... was it a bad move for me to turn it off??

Ok, next tutorial...


4) Bold and Italic Direct Comment Link:  I'm hoping you all know about Kristen at Ladybug's Teacher Files.    If not, stop reading my blog and go check her blog out because it is an incredible resource!  She has terrific how-to videos, which is where I found my next tip.  When you comment on someone's blog, a great feature is having your own blog address stand out so that the blogger can hop back to your site quickly.  {This} video from Kristen will show you how to leave behind a bold and italic direct link.  It will involve some tweaking of your html code, which won't be so scary if you watch the video three times like I did :)



Follow Me on Pinterest

5) Pinterest Button: Here is a quick tip!  It is very easy to add a button for your friends to follow stalk you on Pinterest.  Just log into your account and click on the "About" button.  Next, click "Goodies" and scroll down to where it says "Follow Buttons for Websites."  Click on the type of button you want to add to your site, which will copy the code for you.  Then, go into your Layout page on blogger, add an html/javascript gadget, and paste your Pinterest code in!  Tip:  You can go to my {Blogging 101} board to find a TON of great resources for customizing your blog!




Ok, that's all for now!  I will leave you with a question.  The one thing I haven't figured out is how to correctly add a background image!  When I envisioned my blog, I wanted to have yellow chevron {surprise, surprise} as a background for my page.  I found an incredible amount of cute backgrounds from Melstampz {here}, but for the life of me, I cannot get the background image to be the correct size.  When I save and upload it, it says the image is way too big, and when I try to re-size it, the image gets all pixelated and looks bad!  Any tips???  In the meantime, I added this background directly from Blogger so my page wouldn't be naked and it is starting to grow on me.  Perhaps I should just keep it?  I would love your feedback :)

21 comments

  1. I wish I could help with the background problem, but I haven't had too much luck when it comes to resizing things! I used powerpoint to do my heading & buttons also & it was so super simple. Loving your blogger tips!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I'm sure I will figure it out one of these days... for now, I will stick with the crazy hodgepodge flowers!

      Delete
  2. I love the name of your blog. :) I'm your newest follower and a brand new blogger. I would love for you to check out my blog -

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! I just stopped by to follow you as well!

      Kate

      Delete
  3. Wow! You have some awesome tips. I need to learn how to insert google docs. Right now I've been sending people to my tpt store. That's my next task. I love the font for your signature. Do you mind sharing? I think your blog is super cute. I'm glad I found you. I'll be teaching 2nd grade next year too!
    Miss Nelson's blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I need to learn that as well... check out Ladybug's Teacher files because I'm pretty sure she has a video or two about it. The font is called "Throw My Hands Up in the Air" and I found it here: http://www.dafont.com/throw-my-hands-up-in-the-air.font I just found it the other day and love it! Check out her other fonts too!

      Kate

      Delete
  4. I had my link wrong. Testing it out again!

    ✿Michele
    Miss Nelson's blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! I like the flower you added, too!

      Delete
  5. Ok So I am trying to do a signature. Do you have to use paint? I'm going to use power point but then what did you use. Are you on a MAC? That's my next purchase.

    ✿Michele
    Miss Nelson's blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made my signature in PowerPoint, then I took a screen shot, pasted it into Paint, cropped it, saved it as a jpeg, and then uploaded it to Photobucket in order to get it onto my site. Seems like a lot of steps, but it was pretty easy! I'm sure you don't have to use Paint, but you do need a program that you can capture it and save it with... any design program would work, like Photoshop or Gimp (free). I prefer to use Paint because it's so simple! I use a PC at home and a Mac at school :) Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

      Kate

      Delete
    2. Instead of Paint you can use Jing by Techsmith. It's free too. You can also crop in PPT just by double clicking on the image and the Picture Tools menu pops up on the right side of the ribbon. Kate...welcome to the blogging world...you're already great! Sharing blogging tips and tricks. I have been blogging for two years and learned something new...thank you!

      Delete
    3. Oh yea, I forgot about Jing, thanks for chiming in, Jennifer! Thanks for the PPT tip, too. I have been following your site for a long time and am so glad I was able to help YOU out! Thank you for everything you have contributed throughout the past few years!!!

      Delete
  6. Love this site! Great thinking! http://primarypossibilities.blogspot.com/
    Your newest follower, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Following you as well :)

      Kate

      Delete
  7. Very cute blog! Congrats! Feel free to stop by my new blog @ www.pencilsbooksanddirtylooks.com

    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just stopped by to see yours as well!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I like your new blog. I just became a follower.

    Sandy
    http://secondgradelockerroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kate!

    Thanks so much for the great tips! I'm glad we found each other's blogs. I love your background by the way- I would keep it the same if I were you :)

    Erin
    http://www.talesfromroom112.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. *LOVE* the name of your blog and how helpful your tips are! I had a blog designer install a template, but after reading this am thinking of creating a new one just to play around with the layout myself, lol! I think the background works well with your header. Your design is very calming!

    ~Tanya
    Mrs. Dwyer’s A+ Firsties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feedback, Tanya! I really enjoyed creating my blog elements, but it was very much a trial and error process! I recently won a free blog design, so now I need to decide how much of this blog I want to keep and how much I want to change... touch call! I am going to go check out your blog right now. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Back to Top