Turn the Music Up Linky Party!



I love music!  {I will let you in on a little secret... I was in a rock band in college! We were horrible, but it was a lot of fun!}  I cannot stand silence, so I always have music on-- especially in the classroom.  I train my students to be able to access iTunes on my laptop and they help me control what's playing.  At the end of last school year, my district (finally) unblocked Pandora, which made my life a whole lot easier!!



Amanda @ Teaching Maddeness is having a great linky party about music in the classroom.  Hopefully, we will all be able to find a few new tunes to keep our classrooms lively! 

1) My favorite educational music:

You all know Mr. Smith @ Teacher Tipster, right?  My students and I adored his songs this past school year!  He has a TON of teacher tip videos and catchy songs.  Here are our favorites:



Bahaha did you love it?  My students started referring to Mr. Smith as Mr. Funny Guy after I showed them this clip!



What a fun way to introduce place value!!


2) My favorite just for fun music: 

Jack Johnson and Friends, Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George

I absolutely adore this cd!  It's great for quiet work time and it's too cute when students start to sing along (most of them know the songs from Curious George).  I like this cd so much that I even listen to it when my students are not around! :-)  Every song on the cd is wonderful!  You can hear song clips on Amazon if you click on the cd cover below.


Another just for fun cd I love is Down in the Backpack by Bill Harley.  My favorite song is the title song, Down in the Backpack.  It cracks me up every time!  Here are some of the lyrics:

When the teacher calls and says "Did you get my note?"
And she says she didn't get the one you wrote
Look in the backpack, just look and see
Cause when something's lost that's where its bound to be 


When your kid says that she can't go on the trip

Because you didn't send in her permission slip

Look in the backpack, look if you dare

Down at the bottom, you're sure to find it there


Down in the backpack, there's a big surprise

Down in the backpack, don't you wonder what lies

Down in the backpack something's starting to grow

Down in the backpack maybe you'd better not go

Down in the backpack

You can listen to the whole song here:





Here is where you can check it out on Amazon:









3)  Lastly, here is a cd I would like some feedback on!  I am considering buying Family Tree by Tom Chapin.  I LOVE Big Rock Candy Mountain and This Pretty Planet {my students love them, too!}  Are any of you familiar with any of the other songs on the cd?  


Here are my two favorite songs:










Here is the cd:







Let me know if you are familiar with any of the other songs!  I'm afraid they might be too countryish for me!  {I probably just lost 17 followers for stating that I don't like country music... eeek!}  And, don't forget to link up with Amanda to share your favorite music for the classroom!


PS:  I apologize for the wonkiness of the formatting in this post!  As soon as I started embedding clips, things got scary, misaligned, and way over-spaced!  Anyone know how to fix that in the future??

21 comments

  1. Yay!! Thanks for linking up! How have I never heard of Mr. Smith at Teacher Tipster? I'm sure the students think he is hilarious and I LOVE the place value idea!! I, too, love Jack Johnson! So many great ideas {feverishly adding them to my list}

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! You will need to check out his YouTube channel. He has SO many clever ideas! Thanks for hosting the linky party!

      Delete
  2. Love the place value video!! I've never heard of Teacher Tipster! Thanks for sharing! :)

    Jessica
    Mrs. Heeren's Happenings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go check out his YouTube channel... you will fall in love!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I had forgotten about Family Tree by Tom Chapin! I love that album. I am going to pull it out an put it on my iPod for school next year. Thanks for the reminder.
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On a scale of 1-10, how country-ish is the cd?? lol

      Delete
    2. Kate, it is more "folksy" than country.
      Alyce

      Delete
  4. I keep forgetting about Teacher Tipster. I'm going to have to check it out!! Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check it out! He has a great YouTube channel and a Facebook page!

      Delete
  5. I just love the clips from Teacher Tipster! I was going to blog about Place Value today was going to use that as well.

    I will have to check out the CD from the Curious George Movie.

    I have already bookmarked "Down in the Backpack"

    Ms. Fiorini’s Stadium

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, I will go check out your post!

      Delete
  6. Teacher Tipster is awesome... as is Jack Johnson! Good music choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you may have already received these awards, but I wanted to let you know that I gave you the One Lovely Blog award AND the Versatile Blogger award!

    You can go claim them at Miss A's Kindergarten!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the look of your blog and your blog name! I am awarding you the Versatile Blog Award! Check out my blog for the details! BTW I am your newest follower!

    :D Angie

    http://timeoutsandtootsierolls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kate! I have been following you for awhile! I love your blog! So glad you are into Whole Brain Teaching! Are you attending the conference in Canton, Ohio on July 11?

    Nancy
    Mrs. Stoltenberg's Second Grade Class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops!! Your new blog design must have thrown me off :) As a matter of fact, I am! Can't wait! Are you going to be there?

      Delete
  10. You just got a new follower because 1)I don't like country music either 2) You like Whole Brain Teaching and 3) Your blog is wonderful!!
    Jenny

    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Jenny! I probably lost 17 followers for saying that I don't like country music :)

      Delete

Back to Top