Free Creativity Tools for Students {and teachers!}

When I was a child, my absolute favorite thing to play on the computer was Kid Pix!  I would play Kid Pix for HOURS!  While Kid Pix is still available for purchase, there are several other free options that my students love.  Not only are these creativity tools perfect for when you need students to create a picture for a project, but they are also even more beneficial when students can simply explore!  Here are three paint-based creativity tools that your students will love:

1) Tux Paint: If you are able to download programs in your classroom {you might have to beg your tech department}, I would definitely recommend Tux Paint!  It is very similar to Kid Pix in that it offers a huge variety of drawing tools, paints, stamps, backgrounds, special effects, and even sound effects.  You can click {here} to read more about the features or {here} to see videos of Tux Paint in action.  Here is a screen shot of the drawing canvas and tools:

example_simple

2) Crayola Digi-Color: If you are not able to download programs, I would recommend Crayola Digi-Color because it is completely web-based.  There aren’t as many features as Tux Paint, but there are still a ton of fun drawing options!  My students love the marker stamps and tri-color crayons… there are also paints, markers, colored pencils, and Slick Stix!  Here is a quick picture I made to show off some of the features!

crayola
3) Bomomo:  I had to throw this one in here for teachers {and of course, students love it too!}  Having a rough day?  Go to Bomomo to sooth your soul.  This is definitely not a structured paint program where you can paint a specific picture; however, it features all sorts of strange paintbrushes with neat effects.  It is very relaxing!  Here is a crazy picture I made:


bomomo
PS: I am going to be linking this post up with Technology Tailgate.  If you are not already a follower over there, please stop by!  It is a collaborative blog FILLED with great tech-related ideas!  If you get a chance, we would love for you to take the new survey that is in the sidebar!  Thanks bloggy friends!

19 comments

  1. I love kid pix! We had it at school until last year. I guess with the free stuff out there, they took it off. Thanks for blogging about these!
    Rachel
    the blog looks great! I used reader last night!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! They put Tux Paint in our lab and it is always a student favorite during free choice time! :)

      Delete
  2. My students use Tux Paint in Technology and they love it! They think it's the coolest and talk about it all the time!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a technology teacher? If so, consider yourself lucky! We have two built in slots for technology each week, but we take our classes ourselves-- we are the technology teachers! :)

      Delete
  3. Okay I just had a serious childhood flashback. I. LOVED. KIDPIX. Anytime we had free time in computers that was my favorite thing to use! Super excited to check out the other sites you listed! :)

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! I LOVED Kid Pix, Oregon Trail, and Number Munchers!

      Delete
    2. Yes to all of those, what about Odell Down Under? That fish game? Another favorite!! Ahhhh childhood! :) Haha or Mavis Beacon Typing... loved that too!

      Delete
    3. Oh dear! I must have missed out on both of those! I used Mario Teaches Typing!

      Delete
  4. My kids loved Tux Paint, but I haven't heard of the other two. Thanks for sharing.
    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kid Pix is awesome - thanks for the free choices. Always a good option! Your new blog design is super cute, too!!

    Kate
    Second Grade Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kate! I just stopped by your blog and am now following you :)

      Delete
  6. Love your blog title...and your artwork ;)! Looking forward to sharing ideas!

    -Krista
    The Second Grade Superkids

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love TuxPaint too! Our district didn't pay for KidPix last year and I was SOOOOO bummed, until we started using Tux! Love it!

    Can you email me and explain how I get started with Live Writer? I think it was you who mentioned that!?!

    Thanks bunches! So nice seeing you yesterday!


    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oopps...hollywazy4@gmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great websites! I loved KidPix when I was little too. Good to see there are new improved sites like these!
    Your blog looks great! Great ideas and fun to read!

    newest follower,
    Kim
    mrshsresourceroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top