July Currently and Make It Bake It! and Monday Made It!

First off, I'm linking up with Farley for the July Currently!  Can you believe it's July?!  {What happened to June?}  I maybe crossed one item off of my to-do list in June, so I better step it up this month!


Listening: I love Bravo marathon reruns.  Has anyone caught the new show, Miss Advised?  It's about three dating "experts" who can't seem to follow their own advice... love it!

Loving:  Two things... one serious and one fun!  I have been blogging for just about a month now {and stalking for about 3 years!} and have to mention that this blogging community is amazing!  The ideas are incredible and everyone is so friendly and eager to help.  Wish we all worked in the same school together!!!

And now for my fun thing... has anyone tried Essie's Matte About You nail polish?  It's basically a top coat that you can put over any color and it instantly turns it into a matte finish.  I am not usually a big fan of nail polish {because I start to pick at it about 37 seconds after putting in on}, but Essie's top coat makes it more exciting!  I don't have any pictures of it on my own nails, but here is one I found online:


Reads

1) Favorite Read Aloud: There is a Bird on Your Head!  By Mo Willems.  {Best. Book. Ever.} I adore the Elephant and Piggie series!  Typically, the first time I read a book in the Elephant and Piggie series to my students, we end up having a spontaneous extended read aloud time and I read them EVERY book in the series.  If you are looking for a series that will have you and your students cracking up, this is it!


2)  Favorite Professional Book:  I have a TON of favorite professional books... check out my ferris wheel widget in my side bar for my absolute favorites.  One book that I reread every year before school starts is 32 Third Graders and One Class Bunny: Life Lessons from Teaching by Phillip Done.  It is funny and oh so true!  It is one of those books that helps you to appreciate all of the random happenings in your classroom!



Next up, I am linking up with Miss Nelson for Make It, Bake It, Sew It, Grow It!  


And because it's an extra special occasion in which I actually made something from my to-do list, I am also linking up with 4th Grade Frolics for my first Monday Made It!


Now let's get one thing out in the open... I don't bake or cook or do anything food related!  It's just not my specialty!!!  But... this week I went to a little 4th of July celebration and wanted to bring something cute and delicious, which is when I remembered that I had pinned this delicious dessert on Pinterest!







I knew I could make it because it only involved two ingredients-- ice cream and chocolate!  Here's how I made it:

1)  Since I would be traveling with the dessert, the night before I made it, I took a square Tupperware container, filled it half way with water, and froze it to make a giant ice cube tray!  It worked out perfectly!

2)  I bought three ice cream sherbets.  1 quart of lime, 1 pint of lemon, and 1 half gallon of raspberry (had a lot of extra raspberry, so you could probably go with 1 quart instead)

3)  I let all three sherbets soften on the counter for about 20 minutes.

4)  I transferred the raspberry into a big bowl and stirred in mini chocolate chips!

5)  Now it's time to assemble!  I used a round, metal pan and began to spread a ring of lime sherbet around the edge of the pan.  As you begin to pack it around the edges, it becomes mushy and does not look very pretty!  This was the hardest part and I began to think, "oh no, this was a terrible idea!"  Just keep packing it around the edges and then put it in the freezer for 20 minutes to let it harden up.  Once it's out, use a knife to smooth it out like you're frosting a cake and it will look 1,000 times better!

This is my "oh no, this is a disaster" photo!

Here it is after I refroze it and cleaned it up.  Much better!  
{Wishing I hadn't made the lime layer quite as wide, though}

6) After the lime layer is cleaned up, repeat the process to add a small ring of lemon.  Refreeze and clean it up!  It will look like this:

You can see my ice cube tray pretty well in this photo.  
I assembled my creation in the tray to keep it cool while I worked!

7)  Last step, add in the raspberry and chocolate chip layer!  Refreeze and clean it up for the last time.  It will look like this:

Yum!!!  I didn't get any pictures of it sliced, but it sure tasted good!

Let me know if you have any questions!

36 comments

  1. Hi!!! You are right before me in the currently link up!! :)
    I'm happy to say that I am wearing the top coat right now!!! :)
    I painted my nails black with one of essie's glitter top coats and then matte'd it!!! LOVE!!
    I thought that was too funny!! :)
    ❤ Sandra
    Sweet Times in First
    sweettimesinfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is funny!! Sounds pretty :)

      Delete
  2. I wanted to read the 32 Third Graders and One Class Bunny book, but didn't know whether or not it would be worth it! Now I'm definitely going to read it :]

    Your watermelon ice cream pie looks amazing!!

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth it! He has a new book out too that I just requested from the library. The pie was awesome!

      Delete
    2. I'll check them both out :]

      While I'm here - I just wanted to let you know I nominated you for a bloggy award - please stop by my blog and check it out :]

      Sara
      Miss V's Busy Bees

      Delete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog. We have a lot in common bravo fans, live in Ohio and although I have not taught in a Montessori classroom, my maters was in pre primary montessori. Thanks for the recipe idea. This will be perfect for our 95+ degree days.

    By the way, I love your clever blog name. I look forward to following your blog.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, we do have a lot in common! Where at in Ohio are you? Pre-primary would be an interesting master's degree. I really loved my pre-primary classroom... but didn't love the salary! I am following you now, too!

      Delete
  4. I have to pin your sweet treat! Thanks for sharing!

    Emily
    I Love My Classroom
    www.ilovemyclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok.....that is just the cutest dessert I think I have ever seen!!! Yea for you:) So fun! I may have to try that:))) Thanks for sharing about the nail polish too! That looks awesome:))) Thanks so much for linking up:) Hope you can come back next week:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara!! I hope I accomplish something else and can come back! ;)

      Delete
  6. I always wanted to read 32 Third Graders...I'll have to add that to my every growing list. The dessert looks just delicious! Mine never come out like the pictures. :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a quick read. You'll love it!

      Delete
  7. I agree...I love this blog community!! It is nice to see how supportive everyone is of each other! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! The support has been wonderful!

      Delete
  8. I gave you an award buzz by to pick it up=)

    Heather
    The Busy Busy Hive

    ReplyDelete
  9. "32 Third Graders" is one of my faves! The dessert looks awesome too:)

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, your blog name caught my attention and I am happy I stopped by. I think your ideas are great. And I am not much of a baker so that dessert is perfect for me. I love my nails and the polish makes me happy... So I like you blog (can't you tell)

    I have awarded you the versatile blogger and lovely blog award. Go to my page to check them our and grab them.

    Teacher on the Loose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rachelle! I'm glad you found me :)

      Delete
  11. Donor's Choose is the best! There was a company last year that was donating to all projects in my district and many of the teachers at my school were rewarded with many funded projects! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that would be wonderful!! Thank you :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Kate!

    I found your blog from the Technology Tailgate (which I also just found tonight)! I have the book 32 Third Graders and One Class Bunny, but I haven't had time to read it yet! You are the second teacher who has highly recommended it, so I am definitely bumping it up on my list of books to read this summer!!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly! Thanks for stopping by! You should definitely bump up the book!

      Delete
  13. I love your blog! I am passing on the Versatile Blogger award to you. Visit my blog to see the post. If you’d like to add the button to your blog, go to http://bit.ly/LxsyIH
    Julie
    Math is Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on all of your awards! I'm your newest follower and love the Technology Tailgate also. Keep up the great work!
    Dianne
    Hopelessly Devoted to Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dianne! Thanks for commenting so I could find your blog! Your blog design is too cute!

      Delete
  15. great post! Lots of good ideas... not to mention delicious! I am your newest follower! I just started a blog to connect with other amazing teachers! Check it out, and Happy 4th! Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Layla! Glad you stopped by! I will go check out your blog :)

      Delete
  16. Hey there! I'm right before your on the currently list.
    I love this Make it, Bake it, Sew it, Grow it. I have been thinking for a few days what I could contribute. The dessert by the way looks great!! I love recipes that are easy and delicious.
    Tarita
    Papers and Pencils and Books, Oh My!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tarita! It was very easy to make!

      Delete
  17. I love your dessert! I bet everyone loved it. Thanks for sharing There Is a Bird on Your Head! It looks great. I will have to add that to my collection next year!

    Delighted in Second
    Hope you will join my $20 TPT gift certificate giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! You definitely have to add it to your collection... it's hilarious! I just stopped by your blog and entered your giveaway!

      Delete

Back to Top