Currently, Fabulous Finds, and my very first freebie!!!

August Currently… seriously?!  Farley, couldn’t you have called it the July Currently Round 2?  I am in total disbelief that it’s August, folks.  Yesterday was the first day we were allowed back at school… it was also Class List Day!  I just love reading the names of my new little children.  :)  What I do not love is walking back into my classroom for the first time… eeek!!!  First, I spent 30 minutes sucking up spiders and other assorted bugs with my mini vacuum {seriously?!}.  Then, I spent the next 30 minutes uncovering everything and putting furniture back in the correct places.  Next up, I sat.  And I stared.  And I dreamed.  I am SO JEALOUS of all of the classroom photos you all have been posting!!!  First of all, my classroom is SMALL.  Second of all, my school turns 80 this year and my classroom could use some work {think mint green, shiny bricks that go halfway up the walls followed cream cinder blocks {with chipped paint} that go up to the ceiling}.  Now typically, I am a very creative and organized person… and typically, I am really good at designing places… but I just don’t see the potential in my classroom!  And it makes me sad.  Do any of you make classroom calls to help me cutesify my classroom?  It needs a Tier 2 intervention.  I would love to say that photos are coming soon, but I sure have some work to do first!!!

Now, onto currently…

august currently

  As for my Back to School Must Haves:

1) The Book Whisper by Donalyn Miller.  This is a must have book to read and reread every school year.  It will inspire you and change the way you teach reading!

2) Blue Sharpie Fine Point Pens.  These are my must have pens for the school year!  {They come in other colors, but blue is my favorite!}  I promise that they will not bleed and they dry very quickly.  They are my official grade card pens {nope, we don’t have digital grade cards…yet!}.  One quarter last year, I brought my grade cards home to work on, but forgot to bring my blue pen home.  I kid you not… I went out to Meijer and bought some more!  They are that amazing.  And I am that Type A. :)

3) Here is where I need your help!  I NEED to buy a new teacher bag.  I only have two weeks left and haven’t found one yet!  It needs to be BIG.  And have pockets.  If it was yellow and grey or had chevron, that would help too!  Anyone have any recommendations?!!

You know the deal, please link up with Farley!!!

Next up, my first ever Fabulous Find Friday!!!  Click the image below, so you can link up, too!

fabulous find friday

I have been doing some shopping {finally} and have some fabulous finds to share!  Both of these finds are courtesy of Hobby Lobby!

1)  Check out my magnetic chevron message board!  I am going to put this by my classroom door and hang up dismissal notes and other info from parents on it each day.  Too cute! 

chevron board

2)  Check out these fun mirrors from Hobby Lobby!  I haven’t bought one yet because I need to see if I can hang it, but I plan on hanging it above my classroom sink at student level.  I have a junky Dollar Store mirror hanging there right now and students love to take a peek at wiggly teeth in the mirror :)  {There is also a hot pink color that didn’t show up in the photo!}

mirrors

Andddd last, but not least, MY VERY FIRST FREEBIE!!!

Freebie Fridays

How appropriate is it that my very first freebie is a To Do List?!  As you may know, I love lists.  I tend to categorize tasks in my brain, so I needed a to do list with categories!  Click on the image below to be taken to my TPT store where you can download my lists for free!  {I’ve also included a blank list, so you can create your own categories}.  Please please please give me some feedback either on here or TPT.  I made the document in PowerPoint and then saved it as a PDF… I really hope it looks ok once you print it…crossing my fingers!…

to do

I may be missing in action for the next few days as I begin to prepare my classroom!  Coming soon:

1) More pictures from Ghana

2) Resources to teach your students about cyber bullying and Internet safety

Enjoy your weekend!

42 comments

  1. Congrats on your first freebie! Good luck with your room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I will need some luck to make it cute ;)

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for linking up today at TBA! I also left you 4 stars at TPT! It printed like a champ!
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!
    Fern Smith's Pinterest Boards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! That is great to know! Thanks Fern :)

      Delete
  3. I love your blog - this is my first time reading! I love my Thirty One organizing tote! I bought an open-top file box to put in there (snagged that idea off someone else's website) and it has been a dream come true! Lots of pockets. I'm pretty stoked about it. Love your Currently and your other ideas. Just fab!

    Dallas @ nerdynerdynerdy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dallas! Thanks for stopping by! I also love the idea of using a 31 tote (love the grey and yellow one) with a file box, but I'm not sure if it will be big enough. I bring A LOT of stuff home each day!

      Delete
  4. I understand about the classroom. I was in a portable for a few years and I could not stand how small it was or how it was slowly falling apart. The decor was awful (wood laminate walls) Well I tried to make it like our little home but it was tough. I'm sure you will come up with something you can live with and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've also been looking for a cute new bag for school. I just bought a grey and white chevron name badge necklace (I'll be giving one away on my blog soon) and I'm thinking of getting a bag to match from here http://www.etsy.com/shop/OohBabyInfinity?page=1
    I wonder if it will hold up though???
    Carrie
    The Common Core Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the head's up about your giveaway! I will go check it out! Wow, those bags are too cute... but I bet you're right... if they are meant to be beach bags, I'm thinking they won't be able to handle all of my teacher stuff!

      Delete
  6. Hi! I just became your newest follower. Then, I was reading comments on my blog and saw your name!! I think we are meant to be friends. :-)

    I hung yellow and purple paper lanterns in my room today--from Hobby Lobby! Of course, I need more. Thanks for sharing your fab finds!
    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrissy! Ooo those sound fun! Do you have a picture of them in your room?

      Delete
  7. I am like Dallas. I got the organizing utility tote (I think that is the name) with the open top file box. I used to bring a lot home too but this has helped me decide what REALLY needs to come home. Because, honestly, most of that stuff came home and I never even took it out of the bag. Also, I completely understand the small, not visually appealing classroom. I am in a portable that I LITERALLY put a hole in the wall of today. I will be posting pictures soon (I forgot my camera today).
    Gina
    Third Grade Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point about the tote... Can't wait to see pics of your room! I need some inspiration!

      Delete
  8. I love To-Do Lists to help me stay organized and on track! Thanks Kate, this is a great one! Who doesn't need a variety of To -Do Lists?

    Patti
    primary practice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there,
    Thanks so much for linking up with my Fabulous Finds :) That chevron magnet board is calling my name.....

    I'm sure your room is going to be fantastic in the end.

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! They had a TON of chevron items... I need to go back for round two :)

      Delete
  10. Hey Kate, Patty here!
    I have a Vera Bradley Bag and I love it! It has pockets all around on the inside for pens, notes, glasses, water bottles, etc. It's very durable and pretty too. I have dragged two math manuals home in it and haven't had any problems with it falling apart. Here's the link for it:
    http://www.verabradley.com/product/Sale/Totes/Vera/154766/defaultColor/Viva+la+Vera/pc/785/c/0/sc/880/p/154766.uts
    Good luck!
    Patty
    Second In Line

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, Patty! That is a very cute bag! Funny thing is... I read "water bottles" as "wine bottles"... gahhh! Can you guess what's on my mind?!

      Delete
  11. People make fun of me all the time because they will come in and see me just staring at my room trying to envision what I can do with it. I'm dreading going in to see how much needs to be done. I'm sure yours will turn out super-cute, even with your limited space. Glad to have found your blog! :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I stared for a long time! And I will stare some more on Monday ;)

      Delete
  12. AHHH look at that freebie!! Go you, Kate :) sooo happy for you! I absolutely love my Vera bags or my new 31 bags. They both have TONS of room, lots of styles, and 31 bags can be personalized (which is kinda cool!). Let me know what you decide to do about your bag!

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara!! It's funny how my "blogging to do" items always come before the rest of my to do items! Eeek! I need to hide from the internet for a few days...

      Delete
    2. It's hard to hide!! But I totally know what you mean... I need to go into hiding, too.

      Sara

      Delete
    3. Ohhhh man, I did better at hiding today... but really, I just need to stay off of my computer for an entire day... or week ;) I have SO MUCH TO DO!!! Eeeek!

      Delete
  13. LOVE the Freebie, Kate! Thanks:) BTW, I see on your Currently that you must have a new teacher bag...be sure to stop by my little blog tomorrow for a chance to get one! :)
    Synonym Rolls & Antonym Moments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, Amber! I will definitely stop by tomorrow :)

      Delete
  14. Love, love, love the freebie! I need that to keep everything straight! I need a good teacher bag too! I've been wanting to cave in & get a 31 bag, but have been holding out. :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Chicklet,
    My room is itty bitty too...and I have NO design sense...I bet yours will turn out as cute as can be...you'll have to post pics!

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You all are so encouraging... but for real... my room is UGLY! I have two weeks left to figure out this room madness! ;)

      Delete
  16. Love the freebie! I'm a new room this year well that is not cute, so I feel your pain! My husband described it as a "downgrade" from the rooms I've had in the past.
    For teacher bags, I used to carry the 31 Large Utility tote. Love all the space, but I put way too much in it! In fact, I injured my poor hip. My hubs bought me a the 31 organizing utility tote and love it. It's just the right size and really forces you think about what you really need to bring home! I still use the large utility tote for when I need to bring stuff home during a long break, but I can't really use it every day! Mine is gray with polka dots. Love it!
    Lisa
    Fourth and Ten
    Like Fourth and Ten on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I will check out those 31 totes again!

      Delete
  17. That is a needed freebie, Kate!! Thank you!

    Kate
    Second Grade Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a new follower!! Just found your blog YAY!!!! I hope you'll check out my blog sometime:)

    Tammy
    1...2...3...Teach With Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I'm about to check out your blog :)

      Delete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad that I am not the only one sucking up the spiders and bugs. It could be worse......I also found a snake in my classroom. Well actually in the hallway and it slithered into my classroom. You can read all about it on my blog at secondgradechatter.blogspot.com. I promise snakes are not the only thing I blog about!! Lol!! I really love your to do list and the categories. I will be using that for sure! Good luck with your classroom. I am your newest follower!!
    BTW.....sorry about the deleted comment above. My computer decided to shut down on its own and when I went back my message was all scrambled and didn't make any sense. Gotta love Technology!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! So glad you found me! Ummm a snake, yikes!!! Last night, I had a dream that all of the spiders crawled back out of the vacuum... yuck. I'm about to check out your blog!

      Delete
  21. I found your blog through pinterest and I'm loving it! I'm definitely going to be a new follower! I still haven't been able to get into my classroom because they pulled out the carpet this summer and put in tile. (The ENTIRETY of my classroom is sitting in the hallways in huge stacks... anxiety!)

    Anyway I wanted to say that my teacher bag is a bag from Thirty one! I didn't read through all of the comments to see if someone mentioned this but I HIGHLY recommend it! The bags come in all sorts of sizes and are durable. Also, they aren't fabric, so you can spot clean with a washcloth and soap if you need to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I've totally been there with the carpet before... very frustrating... but at least you'll have some nice, new tile! A lot of people recommended 31 bags and Vera bags. I have some shopping to do!

      Delete

Back to Top