Internet Safety Lessons for Elementary Students

If you are looking for some ways to teach your students about Internet Safety, I have some great resources for you! This week, my grade level (2nd) started departmentalizing for the first time. We have 5 teachers, so two teachers will be teaching science, two will teach social studies, and one will teach technology (that’s me)! With five teachers, we had to have a very creative switching schedule. Here’s how it all worked out:



Does that look confusing? It is!!!! Basically, all students will have science twice a week, social studies twice a week, and technology once a week. Every class will travel to another teacher as a whole group, except for mine. I had to divide my class into four sections and each section will join another classroom for traveling time. The great thing about the schedule is that it allows each of us to have one professional development (PD) day per week where we can work on our content area.

Ohio requires all teachers to teach about Internet Safety before students can use classroom computers. That means that Internet Safety was my topic in technology class this week! Here are my favorite K-5 resources:



Wonderful video from ABCya! I used this one this week!



Here’s a cute Digital Citizens poster! You can download and print the pdf for free {here}. The Common Sense site has a ton of other great resources and lesson plans on Internet Safety!



Here is a fantastic (and free!) video about Internet Safety from Brain Pop!



Infinite Learning Lab is a wonderful resource for learning videos on a variety of topics! I have used them in the past for a lot of great social and emotional videos, such as Self-Esteem and Self-Control. They also have two great videos for Internet Safety: Online Safety and Cyber Bullying.



If you are looking for print resources to give your students and their families, check out Childnet International. There are a ton of pdf’s for you to print, including the poster above!

Anddd just in case none of the above resources meet your needs, {here} are a million more ideas sorted by grade level!

By the way… you have two days left to enter the Technology Tailgate giveaway!!!!! There will be multiple winners and great prizes including iTunes and Starbucks gift cards!! I donated my iStudent All About Me Books and Phone Clip Art Bundle! Click on the button below to enter!



Have a great week!!!

6 comments

  1. These are GREAT resources!!! Thank you for sharing!!! I will definitely use them in my 2nd grade class!!! :-) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, you are too cool. That's all I've gotta say. I loved your Prezi and have to figure out how to use that! BUT, I love the work that you do with technology as a whole & YOU are actually the one that inspired me for BG :)

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind! You can totally figure out Prezi-- it took me a few tries, but was very easy once I knew what I was doing!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kate, Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love the Internet safety resources you shared in this post. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts! Susan, The Digital Scoop

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top