10 Reasons Why I Love MentorMob…

mentor mob

I’m  pumped about the latest technology resource I’ve been using in my classroom—MentorMob!  Have you heard of it?  I first learned about MentorMob through my friend, Erin Klein @ Kleinspiration.  MentorMob has allowed me to easily organize all of my YouTube videos for the classroom.  Best news is… it’s free and easy to use.  Here’s a short clip about it:

This school year has been the first year we’ve been allowed to use YouTube in the classroom.  I was thrilled by this decision because there are a TON of quality songs and videos for the classroom.  Although YouTube allows you to organize videos directly on their site,  it does not prevent inappropriate ads and other videos from showing up when you access the videos in your classroom.  Enter… MentorMob!

Once I created my MentorMob account, I began to create “playlists” to organize my content.  So far, I have 7 playlists: Language, Science, Math, Reading, Social Studies, Birthdays, and my favorite—Brain Breaks!  Once you have your playlists created, all you have to do is copy and paste your YouTube link into MentorMob and your video will be saved for future streaming.  Although I mainly use MentorMob for YouTube videos, you can also use the site to organize other content, too! 

Alright, here it is… 10 Reasons Why I Love Mentor Mob:

1) On MentorMob, students cannot see any inappropriate videos that may appear in the sidebar if you use YouTube directly. 

2) Using MentorMob eliminates video ads and commercials that typically play on YouTube before your desired video.

3) With MentorMob, I can quickly access any of my digital content saved for a lesson.  I keep MentorMob in my bookmark bar and use it daily throughout my lessons!

4) MentorMob is easy for students to navigate.  I sent my MentorMob link to my students’ parents and am thrilled by the amount of students who re-watch our learning songs and videos at home!! 

5) You can embed your MentorMob playlists!  This is a great feature if you have a classroom blog or website.  For example, here is my students’ favorite playlist—Brain Breaks!

6) You can collaborate on playlists!  When you first create your playlist, you have some options:

mentor mob

{Image captured from MentorMob}

If you choose to keep your playlists public, you could create a shared playlist for your grade level team {or your blogging friends!} to add content to on their own.  Currently, all of my playlists are public, but not editable.  Feel free to use my playlists in your classroom, if you’d like!  We use the Brain Breaks playlist often in my room!

7) You can use the MentorMob search feature to search for playlists created by others!  For example, if you have a student struggling with a certain topic, try searching for the topic to see what has already been created.  Here is a playlist I found by searching for “nouns.” 

Wouldn’t it be nice to send that playlist to the parents of students who could use some extra practice at home?!  I hope you all start making some playlists so we can have more k-5 playlists available! :)

8) Social Media!  All of the playlists are very easy to share via Facebook and Twitter!

9) As I mentioned before, MentorMob is not just for videos.  You can save and organize content from websites, blogs, games, and more!  One of my goals {maybe during Christmas Break!} is to start creating playlists of some of my favorite websites for kids.  MentorMob would be a great way to have visual bookmarks for your students!

10) Last, but not least, MentorMob has great customer service!  I have received a few emails from the folks at MentorMob and they are very helpful and easy to work with.  When one of my embedded videos was removed YouTube, the folks at MentorMob emailed me and offered to help me find a new resource—how nice is that?! 

Ok, I hope I’ve convinced you to give MentorMob a try! :)  Let me know what you think!  Also, if you start creating some MentorMob playlists, please comment with your profile link so I can check them out!

PS:  You have one more day {ends Monday at 9 PM} to win my brand new resource—Elf on a {Classroom} Shelf!  Visit yesterday’s post for more details.

elf on a classroom shelf

20 comments

  1. Two in a row...LOVED this post, as well! Thanks so much for the tip!! I am heading over there N.O.W. :) Have a great Sunday, sweet and inspirational Kate!
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Lisa! If we had 5 day weekends more often, I'd be a much better blogger! :) Send me your MentorMob profile if you make some playlists!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! :) Hope you like it!

      Delete
    2. Okay, I'm hooked! I saved your Brain Breaks to my page! I also put together a Whole Brain Teaching video playlist together! Now, I need to understand how to embed it to my blog. Are there directions to follow? Thanks again, Kate!
      Nancy
      Mrs. Stoltenberg's Second Grade Class

      Delete
    3. Your WBT playlist is brilliant! I will definitely use that when I need some WBT inspiration. To embed your playlist, enter the playlist and click on the little symbol that looks like a "less than" sign near the top of the page. Then, click "embed," copy the code, and paste the html code to your blog. Does that make sense? If not, I can explain it a different way :)

      Delete
    4. It worked!! Thank you so much! Have a great week! I will be on your TPT site tomorrow shopping!!
      Nancy
      Mrs. Stoltenberg's Second Grade Class

      Delete
    5. Great! Happy to help! Enjoy your week and happy shopping!

      Delete
    6. Kate, I owe it all to you! I was contacted today by Erin at MentorMob about Whole Brain Teaching, and this afternoon she featured us on their blog home page! Go check it out! http://www.mentormob.com/blog/
      Very exciting! Thanks for all your help!

      Nancy
      Mrs. Stoltenberg's Second Grade Class

      Delete
    7. That is wonderful, Nancy!!! I told you the folks at MM were great! :)

      Delete
  3. That looks like such a cool resource! Can't wait to play with it a little bit. Thank you so much for sharing!:)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, Your blog is adorable! We do so much the same that I can't wait to add all of you cuteness to my plain Jane lessons. Granted, your a grade above, but there is so much that I can use! Thank you for all you do. :)

    If you want, I added your button to my humble little blog. Come over and check it out sometime.

    Cruz'n in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kinds words, Jill! I really appreciate you adding my button to your blog! I'm about to come over and visit ;)

      Delete
  5. I am your newest follower. I hope that we can get YouTube in our district soon! I'm assuming that by creating your own playlists on Mentormob you still wouldn't have access to the videos if our district denies access. Would that be correct? Also, I love the layout of your blog. I'd really like a different background and buttons as well as the headers you have at the top. Where did you get the template? I really want to keep my store and my regular posts separate and thought having headers might help. Any advice you can give me would be great!

    Also, You might be interested in my blog. I work with teachers on how to use technology in the classroom. I love technology as well and thought you might be interested.

    Thanks so much,



    Jennifer Kimbrell

    The HiTech Coach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! Thanks for stopping by! Unfortunately, you're correct about YouTube-- if it is blocked in your district, it will still be blocked on MentorMob. Have you ever tried using SaveTube? With SaveTube, you can download YouTube videos instead of streaming them... it's not as convenient, but it's not a bad option if there are some videos you would really like to use. Thanks for your compliment about my blog design! It was designed by Sour Apple Studio (http://www.sourapplestudio.com/). I will be stopping by your blog right now!

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for your post about mentormob. I have just become addicted! I blogged about it...stop by and check it out! So happy to be your newest follower!!
    Thanks again for sharing!
    Nikki
    Love, Laughter and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great!!! So glad you like it! I'm on my way to check out your post :)

      Delete
  7. I'm so in LOVE with MentorMob! Thanks so much for telling us about it. My school has youtube cyberblocked, but I can pull the videos up with no problem with MM!
    Here's my profile link:
    http://www.mentormob.com/people/profile/crystal-ingram-13587

    ✪Crystal✪
    Strive to Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your playlists! Just emailed you :)

      Delete

Back to Top