Let’s just pretend I’ve been blogging on a regular basis!

I’m back :) 

Top 10 Reasons I Haven’t Blogged In Over a Month:

1) Busiest. first. quarter. EVER.

2) Beginning the transition to the Common Core.  New standards.  New assessments.  New electronic grade book.

3) Grade cards.  (Electronic grade book does not print out the grades yet… so we have the privilege of entering all of our grades online and then transferring them to paper grade cards by hand.  {Can you feel my excitement on this one?!!}

3) Parent-Teacher Conferences

4) Grading papers

5) Teaching!!!!

6) House hunting… no luck yet! :(

7) RTI.  More RTI.  Even more RTI.

8) The Third Grade Guarantee (any Ohio teachers feel my pain on this one?)

9) Blog stalking.  I may not have been keeping up with my own blog, but believe me, I was still stalking yours!

10) Hunting for the magic energy pill the rest of you must be taking!!!  I am seriously amazed that so many of you can blog after school.  I am WIPED OUT everyday.  Please mail me some magic blogging pills ;)

Anyways…  I am back… and am going to try my hardest to keep up with my blog on a regular basis!  I have a great group of students this year and would love to share what we’ve been up to.  Here is a photo dump of some of our latest fun!  {Please note:  All photographs of students have been shared with parent permission}

027

We made spaghetti towers as a team building activity the first week of school!

One of my favorite stories to read in the fall is Hedgehog Bakes a Cake!  {I tried to find a link to show you the book, but it looks like it’s out of print… bummer!}  We work on sequencing and following directions, but the students’ favorite part is baking our own mini cakes in the classroom!  We use cake mix, water, Dixie cups, and a skillet to create mini cupcakes.  Yum!

068

069

071

This year, we created our own hedgehog stories and painted hedgehogs to illustrate our stories.  They turned out darling!

009

011

017

(It was hat day, by the way!}

016

001

Another favorite baking activity in the classroom is crockpot applesauce.  It always tastes amazing!  Here is a great recipe: Crockpot Applesauce

010

Every fall, our second graders travel across the street to an authentic log house!  We listen to music, learn about life long ago, and even get a visit from Johnny Appleseed!  Here we are inside the log house, warm and cozy by the fire!

017

Johnny Appleseed arrived!

056

Students made spiders in webs during our fall party {Oreo bodies, pretzel stick legs, candy corn eyes, and string cheese webs}.  I walked over during the snack and ended up snapping the cutest picture ever!  My kids are so funny!!!

042

Here is the bat craft students made at the party.  Students traced around their hands to make the wings and then traced their foot for the body.  They always turn out cute!

IMG_0412

Students loved creating Adjective Spiders. 

{We used Across the Hall in Second Grade’s file, which can be found here}

IMG_0390

We had the amazing opportunity to Skype my student’s older sister who is currently stationed in Qatar!

IMG_0406

Last, but not least, we ran a school election to vote for president!

Well, there you have it… we’ve been quite busy the past two months!!  I will leave you with my November Currently!

november currently

I think they’re all self-explanatory, except for the last one.  I LOVE Pandora.  My favorite station to use in the classroom is one I created called Classroom Guitar.  It includes the following artists: Leo Kottke, Tommy Emmanuel, John Danley, Andy McKee, and Don Ross.  Not going to lie—I had never heard of any of them until Stephanie from Third Grade Thoughts blogged about them and I fell in love!  Link up with Farley and don’t forget the rule of three! 

 
PS:  Sara from Miss V’s Busy Bees is having a fantastic 500 Follower Giveaway!  Check it out!!!
 
Miss V's Busy Bees 500 Followers Button

27 comments

  1. In soooo many ways I am with you, girl! Those top tens, for sure (though I am in WI)! And, guitar on Pandora!! Love! :)
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back!! haha Oh my goodness, I am totally feeling the same way! I have been wiped out and have really been slacking on my blogging (and emailing!!)! Ahhh! I don't know how everyone does it! I loved looking through all your pictures! Looks like you guys have been doing lots of fun things so far this year! And good luck with the house hunting!! Hopefully you find the perfect one soon!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  3. so, I'm like 6 people behind you on the Currently --actually I am last right now :(. welcome back to blogging, but it's nice to see all the great things going on in your room. How cool is skype? I used it to skype one of my kiddos who is at HOME (he has leukemia and is receiving chemotherapy and cannot return to school until January) I wish I had a big screen like yours...
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures,Kate-I love the log house! I can completely relate to the lack of time to fit blogging and everything else in! We just lost a week of school because of Hurricane Sandy, and still have no power after 6 days.

    I just started posting again this past week. Good luck with everything. I'll be so glad when report cards and conferences are done!

    Patti
    primary practice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I do totally understand about being busy! I have conferences this week. Yikes!

    Your kids pics look so cute. :)

    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. M! Good luck with your conferences!

      Delete
  6. WOW! You've been a busy girl!!! I love Pandora--and the movie PS. I love you, even more!!! Keep your head up about finding a new place--it will happen when you find the perfect one! :)

    I'm your newest follower too!
    Elizabeth
    Mrs. Hodge and Her Kindergarten Kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and following, Elizabeth! PS I Love You is my "go to" movie... maybe I can find a new house in Ireland?! ;)

      Delete
  7. Your classroom pics look like so much fun!! I love doing cooking projects in my class. I wish I had access to an oven to bake:( Hedgehog is such a cute story and it would be fun to make the recipe. I am staying up late tonight to catch up on my blog reading. There just isn't enough time to read and respond to all these great posts!!

    Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray! You're back in action. Boo on the transferring the grades to paper - what?!? Love - the hedgehogs! Trying to find motivation to run more myself. Not workin' very well (yet).
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to BE IN YOUR CLASS! You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you've been busy! Your kiddos are adorable :)

    And I am so checking out those guitar artists, sounds like fun!

    Halle
    Across the Hall in 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Halle! I have a great group of kids this year!

      Delete
  11. My "too busy to blog" list looks a lot like yours...including the house hunting! GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. House hunting is such an exhausting process!! Good luck to you as well!

      Delete
  12. Hiya Kate!

    Love your blog name...clever!

    I'm your newest follower...found ya on Farley's Currently!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so cute! I love all your pics! Looks like you've been having a fun start to your year! Love the spaghetti towers, I'm going to have to try that! You got a MacBook too!! How much do you love it??!! I'm obsessed with mine! We are so alike, condo hunting isn't going as well as I would like either and I need motivation to start running again too! Wish you lived closer! I need someone to drag me out the door! P.S. It's Karla- I've totally revamped my entire blogging~networking world. Also, I've been meaning to drop you a line too to tell you my 3rd graders are obsessed with the iPhone app page. I used it as a graphic organizer for my video club for an iMovie they are making about themselves and they are all begging for extra copies of it, even the ones that aren't in the club and saw it. It is so cute! I'll have to write a post about it soon :)
    The Connected Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too funny, Karla! Sounds like you've been up to a lot, too! I'm going to email you to catch up :)

      Delete
  14. So happy you're back!! We missed you. Love all that you've done so far this year. I also nominated you for the Beautiful Blogger Award! :)

    Love this pack, Tanja! I also nominated you for the Beautiful Blogger Award :) Come by the blog to check it out! Come by the blog to check it out!

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees
    500 Follower Giveaway / 5 giveaways - 5 winners!
    Advent Calendar Swap Sign Ups!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your top ten list sounds SOOO familiar. School has been out of control demanding this year and I am also house hunting. . . . And it has been hard to keep my mind on school when I'm concerned about things like insulation and asbestos! Have a great week! :)

    Casey
    Second Grade Math Maniac
    Second Grade Freebies

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it is so amazing you were able to Skype with your student's older sister. I bet she was thrilled!

    Mrs. Dixon
    Teaching Special Thinkers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a great experience!!

      Delete
  17. I used your "Classroom Guitar" idea during Writer's Workshop. My kids loved it! Thanks for the great idea : )

    P.S. I love seeing some of my old kindergarteners in your pictures! Since I'm not in the same building I never get to see them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! Glad your kids liked the guitar station! My kids begged me to play Christmas music during writing workshop yesterday-- yikes!! I totally forgot that this was the batch of kids you had in kindergarten. Send me an email and tell me which ones you had! Hope your year is going well!

      Delete

Back to Top