Professional Growth Resolutions {Linky Party}

I love goals.  I’m the type of person who creates 7 new goals in the midst of accomplishing one goal.  I’ve always been this way.  On one hand, it’s great, because it keeps me motivated.  On the other hand, I drive myself crazy!  You see, I never feel like I have accomplished enough.  I’m always moving from one thing to the next.  Perfectionism at it’s best.  You could say I have Goal ADD. 

resolutions

I’m linking up with Amanda at One Extra Degree to share my Professional Growth Goals and Resolutions. 

 

Accomplished:

  • Graduated with my undergraduate education degree in 3 years!  Worked my tail off, but it was well worth it.  Got a job right away.  Boy, was I lucky!
  • Graduated with a master’s degree in counseling.  Passed the National Counselor Exam and received my Professional Counseling License.  At one crazy point in life, I planned on teaching all day and working at a private practice 2-3 nights per week.  What was I thinking?!  For now, one job is just fine! :)
  • Took on the supplemental position of Technology Facilitator with my school district.   I work with our Tech Department in communicating new technology initiatives to teachers.  I also troubleshoot, but thank goodness I have a co-facilitator who handles most of that!  Yuck.
  • Started my blog this summer!  Opened up my TPT Store soon afterward.

 

 In Progress:

  • I love teaching… however, the best part of my day isn’t exactly teaching, it’s interacting with students.  Soooo a possible career change may be in the works!  I’m going back to grad school in one week {eeek!!} to complete a school counseling endorsement program.  It’s actually only two classes—an Intro to School Counseling class and an internship.  I will take the Intro class this spring and intern all of next school year.  I am hoping school counseling will be the best of both worlds for me—it will still allow me to teach, but will most importantly allow me to directly interact with a lot of students.
  • Implementing new strategies and techniques in my classroom:
    • Last year, I started dabbling with Whole Brain Teaching.  This year, I am incorporating it even more, but still have a long way to go. 
    • I am piloting the Words Their Way spelling program for my grade level.  It took MANY weeks to figure out how to get it all organized in my classroom, but I think I’ve finally figured out a system that works for me.  I am eager to see the end of the year results to see how much of a difference it has made with students’ ability to spell words.
    • I have always wanted to have a Morning Meeting in my classroom—not the typical calendar math and morning message type, but one that focused on social skills and character development {that’s the counselor in me speaking}.  I was originally inspired by this video.  Earlier in the year, I wrote a grant for 30 social/emotional picture books that I can use during our meeting… I can’t wait for them to arrive!  I loved the routine of Morning Meeting that I established in my classroom this fall, but then we had testing, assemblies, holidays, and other busyness that swept away our meeting time.  My students have been asking me why we haven’t had it any more… I really NEED to start it back up after break!
    • Technologyyyy.  I’m teaching technology to all 5 sections of our 2nd grade this year.  It has been quite the experience!  Plus, my own class is the most tech-oriented class I’ve ever had.  They beg to use our laptops.  I think I’ve done a good job introducing them to the basics, but I’d like to step it up for 2nd semester.  My goals are to start introducing them to more Web 2.0 tools and to start a classroom blog. 

 

Goals for the Future:

  • More teaching strategies and techniques:
    • The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child and Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading changed the way I teach reading.  Last year, I made a matrix of all of the mentor texts I wanted to use to teach comprehension strategies throughout the year… I was SO organized.  This year, my plan has not gone so well.  In fact, my CRAFT Menu is still empty… oh dear.  Simply put, I have become overwhelmed by the drastic differences in reading abilities in my class this year.  I need to step back and re-examine the reading strategies I have come to love and figure out which ones to start using and which ones to scrap for this year.  I need to remember that what works for one class does not always work for the next one! 
    • I have been wanting to employ Writer’s Workshop for THREE YEARS.  Oh my.  I absolutely love the book No More "I'm Done!": Fostering Independent Writers in the Primary Grades.  Why am I not using it, you ask?  Because I haven’t figured out where on Earth can I fit Writer’s Workshop into my day!!!  Sorry kids, no more recess… we are going to write, instead.  {{If only it were that easy!}}
  • Presenting!  I would love to begin presenting at local conferences.  I don’t even have a clue how you begin doing this.  Well, I suppose you just find a local conference and submit a proposal… but that sounds scary… and I’m not even sure what I’d want to present on!  I would love to hear some tips, if you have them!
  • Sharing!  Last year, I led a mini session for teachers at my school about some of the latest techy stuff for classrooms.  I would love to be able to help create something in my district where teachers can meet on a regular basis and share their ideas.
  • Blogging goals:
    • I have loved catching up with the blogging world over Christmas break.  I have been slacking.  Once school is back in session, my goal is to blog… ummm… once a week.  Hah!  I figured I ‘d set a realistic goal and if I go above once a week, I will be an over achiever :)
    • I reached 300 followers during the craziness of this fall.  I never had a giveaway or a celebration.  This week, I hit 350 followers!  Before break is over, I am going to host a little party to celebrate!  This celebration may or may not involve the grand opening of an EduKate and Inspire Facebook Page… which has been another goal of mine for awhile!
    • TPT TPT TPT.  I need to rid my files, clean them up, and start posting them!  I have so much to offer {even a lot of freebies!}, I just haven’t found the time {or motivation!} to start posting them.  Shameless self-promotion… I did create something new today!  Check it out, if you’d like!  I will write more about it soon!

Valentine's Day Papers and Crafts

That turned into a long list… as usual!  It was mostly just me talking out loud… self-therapy!  I hope you link up so I can read your goals, too.  Maybe you’ll inspire me to add some more to my list! :)

14 comments

  1. Love your goals! You seem to be organized and have your head on straight. Love the new product, too :)

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees
    ventrellasara@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kate I love and admire all of your goals! I love your new "All iLove About You" product...I just checked it out at TpT and added it to my wishlist. So cute! You are VERY creative! Happy Holidays!

    œKaryn
    A is for Apple B is for Blog
    Kideducator@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed by all your goals! I've been trying to start Writer's Workshop too.... and I agree, taking away recess isn't the answer!

    Good luck with grad school!

    Christy
    Crayons and Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy! Let me know if you find the magical solution to Writer's Workshop ;) Happy New Year!

      Delete
  4. I started dabbling in Whole Brain Teaching this year. My kids love the attention getters and it works so much better than anything I've ever used before. I read "No More I'm Done" and it completely changed my perspective on teaching writing! It is a wonderful book and my class responded well to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have a lot in progress!! I don't know what has happened to me, I haven't had the energy lately!!!

    Angela
    The Daily Alphabet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey You!

    You are a mover and a shaker and you wouldn't want it any differently...right!? LOVE it!

    That teacher in that Morning Meeting video looked so familiar to me..I wonder if she's made others? I do MM and love it!

    Happy New Year, Kate!

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just added The Book Whisperer to my wish list. It looks like a great resource. Thank you! I'm wishing you the best in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Book Whisperer is a fantastic book! I reread it before every school year. It's practical and inspiring at the same time :) Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. Wow, girl, you have been busy!! Congrats on all of your 2012 accomplishments :) I know what you mean about Morning Meeting- I do it every.single.day and I love and adore it- it sets the tone for our whole day and now that we're well into the school year, my kids lead it which allows me to listen into their lives and smile with them before the craziness of our day starts. Good luck with your goals for 2013 and Happy New Year!!

    ~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are one busy gal! I'm super impressed. You sound like me with our goal setting. I had to laugh when I read that.
    Best of luck to you and Happy New Year!
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top