September Currently

I always love it when I'm in a blogging slump and a new month begins... that means I can link up with Currently!  As with the rest of you, I have been busy busy busy getting my classroom ready to go for the year.  I am also interning as School Counselor this year, so that has involved a lot of extra stuff that I don't typically do!  I will do a room reveal soon, but you will see that my classroom looks pretty similar to last year.  My set up worked well last year, so I decided that I would keep my life simple and not make any major design changes!  So far, I have had 7 school days with kids.  We reduced our staff size this year, so I went from having 20 students the past few years to having 25 this year... my oh my, adding 5 more sure makes a difference!  Thankfully, they are a great bunch of kids and I have a ton of supportive parents, so it will be another great year.  Now on to Currently...


Listening:  City and Colour Radio on Pandora... happy, peaceful music for a {hopefully} productive day!  

Loving:  Labor Day always comes at the perfect time!  I love how we can do a bit of school (7 days) and then get a much needed three day weekend!  I spent the first two days relaxing, spending time with my boyfriend, and catching up on blog-land.  Today will be devoted to "to do list" day!

Thinking:  I always have a million new ideas for my classroom each year.  I try to limit myself to only one or two major changes.  Last year, I implemented Words Their Way and absolutely loved it {I promise I will post about it soon}.  This year, my new main focus will be implementing writer's workshop.  I also want to try author studies, math rotations, interactive notebooks, and iPad integration! :)

Wanting:  A mini getaway.  Yep, this was on my Currently last month, too.  And it will continue to stay here until I get to go on one!!!

Needing: Balance.  My district is focusing on One Word this year {inspired by One Word that will Change Your Life}.  My word is balance because I always have difficulties spreading my time evenly.  I can spend FOREVER working on school stuff and tend to spend too much time in the online world.  I need to remember to focus on God, family, friends, health, and fun!  I think I will do a One Word linky soon.  Let me know if you'd be interested in participating!



Love:  

1) I set a goal to run 25 miles this month.  I was doing SO well before school started!  I even ran in The Color Run this summer.  It's time to get back in action.  Here's a before and after of my sister and I at The Color Run in Toledo {I totally recommend it if it comes to your town!}.


2) Devotions... ugh.  It's so easy for me to get caught up in life and forget about what matters most.  I need to make more of an effort to focus on God first thing in the morning.  My days are so much better when I remember to start with God.  I have been reading A Praying Life: Connecting With God In A Distracting World... love it.  Definitely worth checking out if you're interested in revamping your prayer life.  


I love this quote {compliments of Landee See, Landee Do}



3) Spread kindness.  I am so excited that my school has started a Sunshine Committee.  We opened the year by having a back to school cookout and had a great turn out.  We also hosted our first monthly breakfast club this past Friday.  We have a lot of great ideas for the year!  I will post more about it once the year gets going.

Ok, I'm off to "to do list" land!  Have a great week!

7 comments

  1. Haha! I totally agree that these Currently posts always help me out when I've been out of the blogging rhythm!

    I'm about to start the "Awakened" devotional by Angela Watson. I read the book toward the end of last fall semester and it was wonderful; I've now got the accompanying workbook and am going to concentrate on going through those exercises to keep my heart in the right place this school year.

    I also agree that having Labor Day weekend to look forward to after a short bit of school is wonderful! Time to catch your breath, reflect, and get centered now that the initial adrenaline rush has run its course.

    Have a fantastic school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Denise! Did you know that Angela Watson has an Encouraging Teachers group on Facebook? I love it :)

      Delete
  2. I would love to have the long weekend after school starts, unfortunately we do not start until tomorrow! Balance is very important. The key is how to do it! I haven't figured it out yet and spend too much time on school! Have a fantastic year!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a long way to go until I figure out balance :) Have a great year!

      Delete
  3. Balance is so very important. It is difficult to do it all sometimes. Personally I pray alot and that gets me through anything.
    Have a great year.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved doing the Color Run this summer too!! :) Words Their Way is amazing!! Glad I found your blog through Farley!! :)

    Aris
    Sailing into Second

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girl,

    Hope that you are settling in, it always takes some time, doesn't it? I love the idea of the One Word challenge and linky. What a great idea! I remember reading about the idea of choosing one word to represent your goals or "resolutions" for your year in Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project. I am such a sucker for those "one year" commitment-type books. Ever since reading that, I have focused on one word and it is amazing how that one word can truly resonate with you throughout the year and act as a filter for decisions and thoughts.

    Glad you're well!

    Kate
    Purely Paperless

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top