11.02.2013

November Currently and Photo Catch-Up!

I am pumped to have a three day weekend right now!  We have parent-teacher conferences next week, so I had this past Friday off as a comp day {hooray!}.  I spent 80% of Friday catching up on sleep!  This school year has been crazy busy.  I am teaching, going to grad school (again!), doing a 600 hour school counseling internship, mentoring a new teacher, and serving as grade level chair.  Not to mention, my district also switched to the Common Core this year and we are under a new teacher evaluation system (yay Ohio...), so there has been a lot of added planning time.  Somewhere in there, I also find time to spend with family and friends, but blogging has fallen behind greatly!  Now that the beginning of the year craziness is over, I hope to be able to blog more often!  Time will tell :)

Here is my November Currently!  


Listening:  I am absolutely loving this Hillsong United YouTube Channel.  My favorite songs are Oceans and Stay and Wait.  You have to check it out.

Loving:  My class size jumped from 20 to 25 this year.  Overwhelming at first, but I have learned how to make most out of the situation.  I adore my class.  Their personalities mesh together perfectly. I also have an extremely supportive group of parents.  At my fall party on Thursday, I had 18 parent volunteers!  They are wonderful.

Thinking:  I am currently interning as school counselor at my school.  This involves using most of my lunch and planning periods to counsel students!  I don't have a whole lot of downtime during the day, but I love the time that I spend working with students.  I will be a licensed school counselor by the end of this school year. :)

Wanting:  My word of the year is "balance."  Since my work schedule is jam-packed, I have to force myself to find the time to do non-school-related stuff!  Some weeks are better than others.

Needing:  I would LOVE a teacher work day right about now.  My classroom has been very cluttered since I don't have many planning periods or lunch periods to tidy up.  

Yummy Pin:  Pumpkin Pie Dip!  This stuff is divine!  I served it with graham crackers when I made it.  I also hollowed out a bitty pumpkin and put the dip inside.  Yum yum yum!




Up next, it's time to play major catch up with a photo dump.  Here is what my class has been up to this school year {all photos shared with parent permission}:



We started off the year with this photo frame that I made last school year.  These photos are always priceless!


Here is my fall bulletin board, Falling for Nouns... original, I know ;)  On the leaves, students brainstormed nouns that had something to do with fall.  I made the tree with crumpled up brown paper bags.


One of my favorite stories that we read is Hedgehog Bakes a Cake.  It is an adorable story about Hedgehog and his friends who attempt to help him bake a cake.  As we read this story, we work on sequencing and story elements.  My students create their own hedgehogs with the oh-so-coveted glitter paint and sharpies and then write their own Hedgehog stories.  The photos below show some of my students hedgehogs that we later glued onto their writing!





{I adore this one!!}

Next up, Compound Word Day!  We culminated our study of compound words by having students dress in as many compound words as possible.  They loved this!  



{Loved her gumball shirt!!}

Another one of our favorite activities each year is visiting a historic Log House right across the street from our school.  We do this right around the time that we study Johnny Appleseed, so he always pays a visit to our class during the trip!




Last, but not least, here are the photos from our Fall Party this week!


This is the snack we made!  It's a spider made out of a double stuffed Oreo, pretzel sticks, and candy corn.  The web is made out of string cheese.  I'm pretty sure the kids spend more time making it than they do eating it, but it's always a blast.


Here is one of the games we played-- Pumpkin Toss!  I bought 4 plastic pumpkins from Target and labeled them with a point value.  The kids throw a ball into the pumpkins and keep track of their points on the SmartBoard.


Can't have a party without bingo!


Here is the craft we made this year.  I LOVE how they turned out.  I found the idea over at Tech with Jen.  Check out his blog, it's fabulous!


Here's a close-up!  So cute!   


This is my buddy who wanted to make sure that we took a picture of our twin shirts!

Ok, just one more photo... here is my nephew!  He will be 5 months next week.  So sweet!!!


Ok, there you have it... 2.5 months of catch-up!

9 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'm going to have to check out that channel! Hope all is well with you!!!!!!

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about being crazy busy! I don't have the same commitments as you, but busy none the less. So glad to catch up with you!!
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Balance is a great thing! I might need to borrow that one from you next month, I am in great need of balance right now too! You have a beautiful blog here, so glad to find you through Farley's linky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like such a cool trip and I love the snack the kiddos made! I think it's awesome that you are pursuing counseling-that's something I've considered doing as well.

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  5. We read Hedgehog Bakes a Cake too, and it is just about the only story that I really, really like in our reading basal! I love the art extension idea...I may just borrow that one!!

    Aimee
    Primarily Speaking

    ReplyDelete
  6. Balance...PLEASE let me know where to find it, where to buy it. This girl is horrible at balancing work and school. School is winning :(
    tania
    My Second Sense

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kate - Your schedule is making me tired just reading about it! I can't believe you are able to intern during your lunches and planning. Fingers crossed that you get a snow day (or one of those famous Ohio fog days) soon. :) Take care of yourself!
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Balancing work and home is so hectic. It is pretty sad that I spend more time with other peoples children than my own, or probably the same amount of hours. Some days I wish that I chose a profession where the work couldn't be done at home.

    Found your blog through Currently! I am your newest follower. Would love for you to head over and check out my blog…if you hurry, you might be one of the first five people to comment for a freebie!

    Lindsay
    If You Give a Teacher a Treat

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you study Johnny Appleseed! I am from Fort Wayne, Indiana, where Appleseed is buried! I'm hoping you've experienced our Johnny Appleseed Festival in September! :)

    Fellow Counselor

    ReplyDelete

 

Design By Sour Apple Studio | All Rights Reserved