First Day of School Photo Frame


Today I'm linking up to share two star ideas that have worked well in my classroom, 
as well as one wish that I would like to work on this year!

 Star #1 is my Super Improver Wall.  It's one of my favorite classroom management components!  This year will be my third year using the wall.  The concept comes from Whole Brain Teaching, but I have definitely tweaked it to meet my students' needs.  It is one of the best intrinsic motivators that I have used in my eight years of teaching.  If you are curious about how I use my wall, visit the post that I wrote {here}.

Super Improver Wall


Star #2 is one of my favorite first day of school activities!  I have always taken a photo of each student on the first day of school, but a few years ago, I made an adorable frame after seeing a few frames on Pinterest.  

First Day of School Photo Frame

My dad helped me make the frame by nailing some plywood together.  Then, I spray painted the wood black.  The letters are actually sticky foam letters from Micheals, so they stuck directly to the wood without any glue!  The images are pre-painted wooden cut-outs that you can get from the wood aisle of Michaels.  I stuck on the images with a glue gun.  Easy as that!  

I take each student's photo against my SmartBoard because of the white background.  I use these photos to make a cute welcome back bulletin board outside my classroom.  I also print a set to send one home with each student-- they are a great keepsake for families!  A few weeks into the school year, we have a Parents' Night and I use these photos in a musical slide show as parents are coming into the room.  They are always a hit!  


And finally, my wish this school year is to work on my writing instruction.  Writing is the most challenging area for me to teach because of the amount of differentiation it requires.  In second grade, the levels vary from students learning how to write a complete sentence to students who are ready to publish stories.  My absolute favorite book for writing instruction is No More I'm Done by Jennifer Jacobson.  I love all of the mini lessons the book provides!  This year, I am hoping to lay out a framework of mini lessons and stick with them!


If you are looking for a fun back to school writing project for your students, check out my writing pack: iStudent.

iStudent: All About Me Book


If you enjoyed these star ideas, please consider following me on TPT, Facebook, or Pinterest.  

For more star ideas, please browse through the link-up below!  Thanks for visiting!




7 comments

  1. aww I love your frame! It's adorable :)

    Katie
    Dirty Hands & Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link o your Super Improvers Wall. I plan on starting one this year and I'm interested in all the ideas I can get!

    What I Have Learned

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your frame. I am starting Super Improvers in my classroom this year. I love WB teaching! I also love No More I'm Done. Great ideas and easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love your super improvers idea! I read the post you wrote previous, and I'm really, really liking it. I teach in an inclusion classroom, and many friends need help with behavior. This will be a great addition to my classroom! We all have room to improve :)

    Theresa @ True Life I'm a Teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Theresa! The SIW is truly great! I have had an inclusive classroom the past few years and I loved it because it really helped me reinforce positive behaviors for ALL students! Thanks of stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I'm a big fan of the Super Improvers Wall! This will be my 4th year!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top